I’ve done virtually no plotting for over a week, and what I have done has been half-hearted at best. The ground remains too wet, there are far too many slugs/snails and birds have proved troublesome.
Despite some blackfly it does look like I’ll be getting some broad beans.
This is the first year that I’ve had onions bolt (go to seed) and they’re generally not looking too good.
I think that both lots of beetroot and carrot seeds that I sowed simply got washed away in heavy rain.
The first early potatoes Red Duke of York and second earlies Charlotte are doing okay, with the latter already flowering. However half of the second earlies Kestrel and most of the main crop Desiree simply rotted in the wet ground. I’ve been given some first earlies Lady Christl and Red Duke of York which I’m hoping to plant out this coming week. Providing there’s no blight or frost in September I should get a small harvest from them.
Any sweet corn seedlings that appeared have been hoicked out of the ground by magpies and mice got at some some of the climbing French and runner bean seeds, although enough have survived so far for one plant per cane. The tomatoes look okay and some have flowers on them.
Foliage has appeared for all the oca tubers that I planted.
I’m still picking rhubarb and have eaten a few ripe strawberries.
This morning I found this ripe raspberry, with lots more on the way.
So that’s the state of play on the plot as far as the vegetables and soft fruit are concerned.
I called into the horticultural society trading shed on the way home and was prevailed on to gently persuade this young robin back outside, which I did after taking this photo.
Have a good week!