Last Monday and Tuesday I concentrated on the vegetable patches. I planted out the well sprouted Oca tubers, sowed another row of broad bean seeds and hand weeded through the onions and potatoes.
It rained all day Wednesday so Thursday I just spent pottering. On Friday I switched my attention to the flowers and planted out the sunflowers that had been hardening off for a few days. Despite sprinkling organic pellets around them slugs had nibbled some of the nine dwarf Musicbox ones which I planted in a group. One Mongolian Giant is by the log pile and the other up by the road. Five of the Valentine are along the edge of the flower patch next to the east-side path. They all looked okay this morning when I checked.
The carpet of poached egg plant (limnanthes douglasii) flowers around the dustbin lid pond is looking wonderful,
as are the orange, yellow and white California poppies (eschscholzia californica).
The alliums roseum are now flowering and looking rather pretty.
This morning I planted out the cosmos that I had started off in pots at home. Some of the red Veloutte already had a finger nail size flower. The seeds, a mix of Purity and Velouette that I had sowed direct are now showing and will hopefully grow full size flowers.
Lots of self-sown nasturtium (tropaeolum majus) seedlings have appeared some of which I’ve been transplanting.
The love-in-a-mist (nigella damascena) are showing flower buds in the lovely bright green ferny foliage and the rose Pretty Lady has started flowering.
On the way are plenty of pot marigolds (calendula officinalis) Flighty’s favourites and in the long planter are lots of candytuft (iberis umbellata) Fairy Mixed Colours seedlings.
Have a good week!