It was damp and dull early on but the sun had appeared by nine o’clock so I spent a couple of hours on the plot. The ground was soggy but I decided to dig where the frosted potato foliage was to see what I could find. It was worth doing as I dug up the best part of a week’s worth of Red Duke of York and Charlotte potatoes.
I wasn’t surprised to see the robin appear as I was doing that. Here it is perched on a nearby fennel stem. It’s getting ever bolder and several times it was little more than arm’s length away.
I then cleared away all the frosted, and now mushy, nasturtium foliage which I added to the compost heap. As I hand-forked over the areas I noticed plenty of seeds lying on the ground some of which should germinate and grow to provide another good show next year.
Have a good weekend!