I’m not surprised but unfortunately blight has struck at the allotments so during the week I cut all the potato foliage, which was mostly dying back, down to ground level and binned it. Yesterday I dug up the remainder of the first early potatoes, and will lift the other varieties over the next couple of weeks.
I’ve been picking leaves off the tomatoes in the vague hope that they’ll be okay as there is fruit on them. However I’m resigned to the fact that they almost certainly won’t ripen, which is a shame as this is the first time that I’ve managed to grow some from seed.
I’ve picked the rest of the broad beans and composted the foliage. They’ve done okay , although not as good as last year. Last week I sowed yet another lot of runner beans, this time White Lady, and they’re already starting to show. If they grow, don’t get eaten and flower then I may just see some pods in mid October!
Yesterday I spotted what I presume is a day moth along with several brown butterflies, one of which was definitely a Speckled Wood.
The others were Gatekeepers, with this one obligingly settling on a Jerusalem artichoke leaf in the sunshine.
There were also lots of bees around, especially on the flowering teasel heads.
It was good to see several green woodpeckers flying round by, and into, the willow tree at the site entrance. I then watched one pecking for food along the roadway verge just the other side of the fence.
Have a good week.