Last Monday I sorted out both ponds which I had somewhat neglected this year. I moved the dustbin lid one about ten feet down the plot so that it’s now near the shed. Plot neighbour Trevor gave me some stones six of which I’ve used to replace the smaller pebbles. It’s deliberately on the slant so that the water levels vary, and reflected in the picture are some teasel seed heads. I’m hoping that in this new, exposed position birds might use it for drinking and even bathing.
Yesterday I dug up the clump of Jerusalem artichokes down at the bottom, south-east corner of the plot as I’m planning to have some sunflowers there instead. Whilst doing that I could hear several parakeets squawking away close by and looked up to see four on the sunflower stems at the other end of the plot.
One day I’ll get a photo of them but never mind as I did get some of a mouse! It appeared from under the hawthorn then worked its way through the mallows stopping now then to feed. Apart from catching a quick glimpse of one on the compost heap a couple of years ago I’ve never seen any on the plot. I watched this one for several minutes and got surprisingly close to it.Back in the summer I planted some gazanias in the planters which sadly got eaten within a few days. However one has not only regrown but has now flowered!