I have to say that despite the continuing dry weather, a general lack of vegetable seed germination and no strawberries that so far it has been a reasonably good year.
Yesterday morning I cut the comfrey down to ground level, as it had finished flowering, then added it to the compost heap. Note that this is one job that I do wear gloves for.
There are lots of flowers on the broad beans, and thankfully little sign of any blackfly. The carrots that I sowed in a flower bucket filled with compost are growing well. The upturned hanging basket is to stop any wildlife digging them up.
The foliage on the first early potatoes Vales Emerald is starting to die back so I’ll be lifting a couple in two weeks time, when they’ll have been in the ground for ninety days, to see what they’re like.
Yet again my attempt to grow my own tomatoes failed miserably so I got six Gardener’s Delight plants at the horticultural society trading shed a couple of weeks ago. I planted them out on Thursday and noticed that two have flowers on them.
I’ve already been deadheading the roses when in past years I’d be looking for buds on them about now! I’ll be doing a plot roses post sometime soon.
Apart from the first raspberries that I mentioned on Thursday what has pleased me most is that the collomia grandiflora has grown so well and just started flowering. They are lovely tiny flowers each about the size of a finger nail.
I didn’t do a May post about the plot trees as there’s been little change to them except that they’ve grown. Sadly the hawthorn didn’t blossom but I’ve been told that it should do next year.
The RSPB’s Make your nature count survey started yesterday and runs through to next Sunday, the 12th. It is a one hour survey that they’re asking us all to do of the wildlife seen in the garden or local park.