to start planting and sowing on the plot, which I’ll do either next week or the week after.
Last week I spent three more mornings digging and weeding, including clearing the overgrown flower bed of grass which sure looks a lot better now!
Thanks to Debbie, a fellow UK Veg Gardeners member and friend, one new flower I’ll be growing is cornflower Sweet Sultan (Centaurea moschata). She’s kindly sent me some as a thank you for the seeds I sent her.
I’ve also got to decide where to plant the three dahlias Zingaro that I bought last week. It’ll be interesting to see how I get on with these as it’s a plant I’ve not grown before.
I even worked my way round all the edges and cut the grass on the paths. Although I only emptied the compost heap two weeks ago it’s already more than half full again. Of course as it decomposes that will shrink somewhat, but it’s a good start to making next year’s compost.
The SoCal Birdie… is now a plot resident. I had a rethink and haven’t fixed it permanently to the shed. I’ve nailed two small netting staples to the inside of the door so that I can slide it down into them but have to remove it to close it. It looks like it’s perched on the top of the door when in place.
I got a good, close look at Mr Robin one day and the black mark under his right eye is clearly a scar, and is one of several. It’s also noticable that he doesn’t quite close his beak. Thankfully for all that he seems okay. At long last I also got a photo of Mrs Robin!