It’ll be a few weeks before I start planting and sowing many of the flowers, herbs and vegetables on the plot.
Meantime you can see that the herb patch (on the left) and the vegetable area (the square S shape on its side) have been dug over and are now ready. The light coloured area on the right will be the wild flower bed to attract bees, birds and butterflies. In front of the log pile is the globe artichoke which as you can see has now completely flopped. However I’m assured that it will recover, and if not I’ll be given another one!
Nikki will be pleased to learn that the roses are doing well, particularly the Valentine Heart which already has some small leaves on it , and which is the focal point of what will be her corner of the plot.
I’ve transplanted the grape vine into a big green square plastic pot which I got for free as it’s slightly damaged. It looks much better than the round black one it replaces. I’m also going to paint that bright green board a darker shade and add a trellis of some kind.
Talking of bees, last Thursday, which was a fairly warm but overcast day, I’m sure that one buzzed past me! I didn’t see it though as I turned the wrong way. I must ask plot neighbour John when I next see him as he has two beehives on his allotment. I remember last summer when I first saw him donning all his special clothing and wondered what he was doing as at that time I didn’t know that he’s a bee keeper.
[ Click on any of these thumbnail pictures if you want to see a larger image]